Top apartments on the dream beach of the Pelion: Potistika

PeLION

Pelion

Pelion peninsular was called ‘the summer residence of the Greek gods’ by Homer. Surrounded on the west by the Pagasitic golf with peaceful villages and small bays and on the East by the Aegean sea and its wild original valleys thickly forested mountains sloping sharply down to the coast, picturesque scenery and dream beaches. Ancient olive groves oak, plane and chestnut trees, fruit trees all grow freely here. There are also many brooks and springs amongst the rocks across the landscape. The villages and the old donkey paths ( caldirimi) are largely untouched by mass tourism and the people remain hospitable and friendly. Pelion is famous for its natural resources ; the footpaths the abundance of water and plants and above all its herbs.

 Top - Apartments at the Aegean Sea - Beaches of the Southpelion : Potistika und Melani

Pagasitic gulf

The villages of south Pelion along the Pagasitic gulf such as Affissos, Lefokastro, Kalamos, Pao, Horto, Milina and Paleotrikeri are particularly inviting in the evenings. You can enjoy a fantastic sunset and a glass of wine with your meal by the sea.

The Aegean sea

Breakfast with the sunrise is a must and places like Horefto, Tsagarada, Melopotamos, Damouchari, Agios Ioannis, Potistika, Paltsi, Katigiorgis, Kastri and Platanias are all lovely places to do so.

Central Pelion

The mountain villages of Pelion provide cool and shady places to visit on hot summer days. Forget the summer heat and sit amongst luxuriant vegetation surrounded by gigantic plane trees and mountain streams. The villages of Makrinitsa, Vizitsa, Milies, Mouresi and Zagora all have beautiful village squares with welcoming tavernas.

Argalasti

Argalasti, 42 Km from Volos is the principal town of South Pelion. In the 15th and 16th century Argalasti was the economic and cultural centre of South Pelion. The scenery round Argalasti resembles that of Tuscuny in Italy. The church of Saint Peter and Paul dates from 1886 and the bell tower from 1913. This was copied from Agia Forini on Smyrna-Izmir before its destruction in 1922. Today Argalasti has approx.1400  inhabitants and there is a health centre and a primary and secondary school. There are many small shops and tavernas and there is a market every Saturday morning . Argalasti was conquered for the 1st time from 1396-1397 by sultan Bayazit of the Ottomans. It fell again briefly to the Byzantines and then from 1423 was under sultan Mourat and belonged definitively to the Ottoman empire. At first only the populated areas were occupied and the relatively inaccessible inland areas remained unpopulated but by the end of the 17th century all 24 mountain villages had been established. Under Turkish rule the villages were autonomous and selfadministered communities, enjoying special tax privileges which contributed to the prosperity of the region in the 17th and 18th century. After the Greek independence war ( 1821-1829 ) the area remained under Ottoman rule until 1881. It was during this time development began to decline and this continued until the 1970’s.